Summer Day Camp Counselor
Summer Day Camp Counselor
Under the direction of the Day Camp Site Director and the guidance of the Child Care Coordinator, the Day Camp Counselor will be responsible for the supervision of a group of children between the ages of 4 and 12.
● Adhere to policies related to boundaries with consumers.
● Complete required abuse risk management training.
● Adhere to procedures related to managing high-risk activities and supervising consumers.
● Report suspicious or inappropriate behaviors and policy violations.
● Follow mandated abuse reporting requirements.
● Implementation of the daily program for children at site.
● Promote YMCA Character Values.
● Supervise activity areas.
● Maintain an attitude of professionalism and loyalty. Refrain from talking about children to other parents and other children.
● Treat children and adults with dignity and respect.
● Talk to parents on a daily basis.
● Have complete knowledge of emergency procedures appropriate for the individual site (as provided by emergency authorities) to ensure the safety of the child.
● Help preserve the quality condition of all supplies, equipment and materials.
● Attend staff meetings and training programs as prescribed by the Child Care Coordinator.
● Under no circumstances should corporal punishment be used (i.e. hitting, spanking, slapping, grabbing etc.).
● Must maintain active involvement in the daily activities of the camp (e.g. swim on swimming trips; skate on skating trips; etc.) and interact with all campers, especially those within the group under his/her care.
● Camp Counselors should be at least 16.
● CPR/AED, First Aid, Oxygen and Bloodborne Pathogen training required within 60 days of employment.
● Child Abuse Prevention training required before/on first day of working with consumers.
● New Employee Orientation.
● Adhere to YMCA policies and procedures.
● Should have a warm, friendly, and open personality.
● Must be sensitive to the feelings and needs of others. Must be fair to all.
● Should be able to relate well to children and be willing to fulfill responsibilities in accordance with program goals.
● Must be willing and able to communicate with parents and facility officials.
● Must be skilled in conflict resolution.
● Must have general knowledge of the YMCA’s mission and be able to convey it to the community. WORK
ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
● The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
● The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
● Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
● The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to noisy
Job Type : Seasonal
Education Level : High School
Experience Level : Entry Level
Job Function : Customer Service